A few weeks ago, while attending The Makeup Show LA, I was able to sit down and watch a key presentation by famed makeup artist Pati Dubroff. Pati Dubroff has gained a loyal following including Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Bosworth, Naomi Watts, Jessica Biel, Miley Cyrus, Ellen DeGeneres, Eva Mendes, Sheryl Crow, Julianne Moore, Drew Barrymore and Gisele Bundchen. Pati’s work has graced the pages of American Vogue, Vanity Fair, Harper’s Bazaar, W, Instyle, Glamour, Allure and Elle.I have always loved and admired Pati’s clean, elegant, and flawless looks. She has the ability to make a woman look their best, without making them look overdone. No easy task!
Here are some of the best quotes from her presentation, and some of her favorite go to products she uses on her celebrity clientele. Enjoy!
- “When you are starting out as a makeup artist, it is so valuable to work at a makeup counter. You get the chance to paint faces all day long, and experiment with every makeup line.”
- “Be fearless”
- “find a teacher who wants to share and explain all their experiences.”
- “there is nothing wrong with doing what you love in whatever way you need to do it, whether that is working at a counter, doing bridal makeup, or anything else that gets you experience in your field of choice”
- “Ask yourself: “why do we as women wear makeup?”. The answers are: to feel strong, to feel sexy and beautiful, or sometimes even to hide”
- “You can help yourself by changing your attitude. “
- “Always remember, this is a very personal job.”
- “The makeup needs to harmonize with the dress. It also needs to harmonize with the event, audience, etc. For example: the type of makeup application for the Oscars will be different than the makeup for Sundance. Remember also that daytime, or nighttime environments will also make a difference in your application.”
- “Now with High Definition, the makeup must be flawless. Perfection is key. “
- “ a great trick for concealing dark circles and bags is to place the concealer underneath, not on top of”.
- “Do the makeup in stages. Layers are always key for the best possible longevity.”
- “Any kind of depth comes from matte formulations. But on older skin, cream versions work best. I use crème eyeliners in the creases to create the perfect depth.”
- “Beauty for me is making the woman the most spectacular version of herself.”