Michele Williams has always emulated such vulnerability and grace (not to mention being a phenominal actress). I have especially adored her pixie cut and platnium locks as of late…..so, of course I had to find out the mastermind behind her hair. Meet Kari Hill, who has been the artist behind the goddess tressess of Julia Roberts, and other celebrity icons. She was kind enough to take the time to answer my questions, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. Enjoy!
1. What are three of your must-have products?
- Keratstase Oleo relax serum: I love this because it's the best at what it does (i.e. de-frizzing and smoothing hair both pre and post blowdry), and it’s the most effective non-greasy hair serum out there!
- Identity Ocean texture spray: I'm always on the hunt for the best beach spray. This is a new product I found that leaves great “beachy” waves without feeling or looking too crispy or dry!
- Snappi Dry Shampoo: This is an incredibly useful dry shampoo, because the residue is very minimal while not leaving a greasy or itchy result.
2. What’s the last project you worked on? I've been so fortunate to be able to work with Michelle Williams for Comic- Con 2012 and for her “Oz: the Great and Powerful” reshoots.
3. Why do you love being a hairstylist? I love to make people happy and feel good about themselves, I in-turn feel empowered. Also, doing hair has such a quick and tangible result with instant gratification. Concerning the art of hairstyling and coloring, I am challenged and inspired by the creative outlet my profession gives me! It keeps my days full of interest and motivation. Most of all, I just love my clients! I am indebted to them for their devotion, friendship, and encouragement.
4. In one word, what inspires you? Family!
5. What was your first job as an artist? I was an assistant to Frederic Fekkai when his Beverly Hills Salon first opened.
6. How would you describe your style? California casual and comfortable
7. If you could do one person’s hair color/hairstyle who you haven’t yet done, who would it be? Kate Middleton! I think she's so beautiful! I love her non-intimidating and chic style. She's such a classy icon!
8. What is the best tip you can give to achieve a great color transformation? PATIENCE
KARI HILL SERGE NORMANT AT JOHN FRIEDA SALON LOS ANGELES Celebrity colorist Kari Hill is a Senior Hair Colorist at Serge Normant at John Frieda Salon in Los Angeles. Her career has encompassed 15 years in which she has worked with many influential stylists in the industry including Serge Normant, Chris McMillan, Art Luna, Frederic Fekkai, Enzo Angileri, Andy LeCompte, and Sally Hershberger. Featured in numerous publications documenting her work on celebrities such as Julia Roberts, Charlize Theron, Renee Zellweger, Lisa Kudrow, Lena Headley, Emily Deschanel, Zooey Deschanel, Anna Faris, Amy Smart, Melissa Rivers, and others Kari is a master colorist.