It is always thrilling for me to find out what a makeup department head used on their actors during the course of a film. Nothing makes me more excited than to rummage through a makeup trailer and see all the goodies and new products they used to help create a character.
This week, I am especially honored to share with you the work of Marietta Carter-Narcisse. She was the makeup department head for the upcoming movie Sparkle, and shared her on set pictures and products with the readers of The Makeup Blogger. Her work is magnificent, and I can't wait to see her name in the credits and shout "YAY Marietta!!!" . Enjoy this very special beauty breakdown.
"This movie was shot in HD so unlike print, it’ s not forgiving. Your work is not retouched, so what you see is what you get. Jordin’s individual look evolved from a very clean no makeup look to a more sophisticated makeup look of the 1960’s era. The sisters evolve from naïve, unsophisticated looking individual church-‐girls to a very glamorous, sophisticated 1960’s girl group."
Jordan Sparks Makeup:
- Lashes played a huge role in staying true to the era of the 1960’s.
- Lots of assorted top and bottom Black lashes
- Mostly strip and some individual by Ardell & Ja’maal Buster
- Ardell -‐ # 110, #101 Demi, #318, #Demi Wispies, #105, # 118
- Duralash naturals Knot-Free Flares in medium and long
- Lots of assorted shaped lashes by Ja’maal Buster
For the performance numbers
- Lots of double lashes!
- First mascara was applied, then the strip lash
- Followed by a second lash of a different but complementary shape.
- For the bottom, we used a light top lash reversed
- This created a very full, sexy eye.
- Kate Somerville’s Gentle Daily Wash
- Kate Somerville’s Goat Milk Cream
For additional protection as a primer I used:
- Embryolisse’s Lait-Crème Concentrè
- Graftobian HD Glamour Creme Super-Palette - Warm
- I like this foundation because it’s quite emollient without being greasy and easy to build up for extra coverage. Looks great in HD. This product is heavy enough for coverage and sheer enough to show skin.
- Foundation applied with a brush then blended with the Beauty Blender
- Era Spray Foundation from Classified Cosmetics: I love the consistency of ERA and the coverage it provided. It was great to cover tattoos, especially when you are in a hurry. Also for performance, it made the legs and arms look flawless.
- We had a separate airbrush artist just to cover tattoos.
- For principle actors we used Skin Illustrator Palettes
- Era Spray Foundation for the body
- Christian Dior Diorskin Forever Compact # 032.
- Too Faced Primed & Poreless skin smoothing priming powder
- Smashbox Bronze Lights in Suntan Matte
- Mally Evercolor Poreless Face Defender
- Cream colors using the darkest color in the Graftobian palette
- Highlight: (brow bone and above cheekbone) with lighter shades in palette
- Additional Highlight: Lancome’s Teint Miracle # 2
- Highlight inner corner of the eyes, temple and cheekbones
Under eye neutralizer:
- Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage SC-‐6
- Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder
Mascara and Eyeliner:
- Loreal Voluminous Original -‐ Black
- Inside top lid lined with Max Factor kohliner in Black Tie
- Kat Von D Autograph Pencil in Puro Amor
- Water line: White Pencil
Liquid Eye Liner:
- Milani Eye Tech Liquid Eyeliner 01 Black
*when needed – Lancome Le Crayon Poudre -‐ Brunet
- Eve Pearl HD Blush Foundation Trio “A”
- Bobbi Brown Calypso Coral
- Lancome Sheer Peach (discontinued color)
- Big Girl Cosmetics “Pretty in Pink”
- LipPencils: Tarte Pencils in Envy, Exposed, Joy
- Palladio Paris Pink Lipstick
- Laura Mercier Lipstain in Peach
- Makeup Forever Rouge Artist Intense Moulin Rouge
- Christian Dior 428 Rose Pisanelle
- Makeup Forever Aqua Lip Liners
Lipgloss: All by Dex New York unless otherwise noted:
- Franklin Street Nude
- Central Park Guava
- Park Avenue Princess Pink
- Christopher Street Orchid
- Christian Dior Kiss 168 Pink Marshallow
- Aquaphor Skin Protectant
- Burt’s Bees Pink Blossom Tinted Lip Balm
- MAC Midi Mauve
- Too Faced Romantic Eye and Matte Eye
- Kat Von D Saint Palette, Sinner Palette
- Urban Decay Naked Palette
- Nars Portobello Eyeshadows
- Smashbox Metallic Cream Eye Liner Palette
Jordin’s Nails OPI