For the past two weeks I have been focusing on the inner health portion of my journey. I have been known to just go gangbusters with exercise in the past, and do every fad diet on the planet. Loose weight in 30 days?? I want it! But now I am trying to lose weight and get healthy the right way. Slowly. And trust me, it is not easy. Seriously, not easy at all. And yet, it is paying off.
The first person that I was connected to at my new "healthy home studio" (this is what I endearingly call Dantian Studios now) was nutritionist Phil Gephart. He went about assessing my body fat using the BioSignature Modulation technique. Sounds funky, and it is...but it was fascinating! With handheld devise he measured 12 various spots on my body these sites included the cheek, chin, pectoral region, triceps, belly button, quadriceps, hamstrings, knee and calf. The premise is that "Let’s say that after being tested, it’s discovered that there is an excessive amount of fat on the lower thighs (again, relative to the other major fat sites). This indicates that there is a problem with the estrogen levels."
- If the problem area is the triceps, the issue is with the androgen levels.
- If the problem area is the shoulder blades or hip, the problem is with your insulin levels.
After determining the cause of the fat, the next step is to make appropriate modifications in your diet and exercise prescription.
- For the subscapular – shoulder blade- and suprailliac -hip-, controlling the blood sugar levels of the body with more frequent meals, reduced daily carbohydrate and low GI food choices is critical.
- For lower abdominal fat, the key is reducing cortisol levels by restricting the consumption of caffeine and sugar.
- For the glutes, it’s important to detoxify estrogen levels by consuming vegetables such as broccoli that have biochemicals that accomplish this important task.
Didn't I tell you it was fascinating!!??
Next up, Phil schooled me on nutrition. He suggested I stick to a diet that was free of wheat, dairy, and refined sugar. Basically, everything I didn't want to hear! But, I have been following this for two weeks and have seen my belly bloat decrease, and I can actually see my cheekbones again. Hallelujah.
He states: "Science has taught us that it is not fat that causes us to get fatter.
It is carbohydrates. Insulin is the hormone that causes fat to stay on our body. I wish all personal trainers taught this belief. They do not. Many health professionals (personal trainers, strength coaches, nutritionists, dieticians, weight loss experts, etc) teach the “calories in vs. calories out” mantra. That if you burn more calories than you consume you will lose weight. Science tells us that this is simply not true.
***Do NOT count calories."
Phil taught me to start keeping a food journal, and setting my alarm clock for every two hours to remind myself to eat. You have NO idea how much this has helped. I am the type of gal who will sit in front of the computer working for eight hours and completely forget to eat or drink anything. This is the worst thing I could do.
The two other things that he says are absolutely necessary are:
1. Drink 1/2 your bodyweight in ounces of water per day! (So if you’re 150lbs you drink 75oz/day) Drink more on days you work out.
2. Be in bed AND ASLEEP by 10:30pm. NO EXCEPTIONS. This will allow proper rest for the muscles (the most metabolically active organ in the body) and reduce stress-inducing hormones like cortisol (promotes belly fat) and raise stress relieving hormones like melatonin.
I am still trying to get better with the above two. But, it is something I am now consciously aware of. Baby steps. Baby steps.
Next week I will be interviewing the wonderful Jaime Hynes, owner of Dantian Studio and the woman behind my new love of Endermologie "exercise for the skin".
Are you based in Orange County, CA? Than come join the studio, and lets do this together!!