Last month I was able to spend the day getting my hair cut and colored by the expert staff at Sassoon. Lauren Boyack, was the colorist who whipped my brassy and somewhat grey blonde into shape, and Tani Cole, Senior Stylist of Sassoon South Coast Plaza was the scissor master who completed my cut.
I needed something super simple, and easy to keep up. I do not have the type of lifestyle that would allow a major color or cut upkeep. If it takes more than 15 min to style my hair, than I am out. I need my color to fade beautifully, and my style to allow me to tame the frizz, and smooth the ends. I needed a cut and color that would make that happen, and boy did these ladies deliver!
Tani and Laurens attention to detail was outstanding. The cut and color was perfect for summer when I need something easy to maintain.
I asked these talented ladies to share some tips with me, and here is some of their wisdom. I highly recommend Sassoon Salons for their professionalism and talent. Thanks to these amazing ladies, I can rock some great hair for summer!
- What are the top haircolor looks for Summer? Lighter for summer. Subtle ombré. Softer transition…what would happen to your hair at the beach. Looks more classic that way. Tends to be nationwide during the summer. More blondes in Southern CA vrs. Seattle.
- What is your favorite color to do? Blondes.
- Highlights or all over color? Depends on where you are starting from. It all depends on corrective color or what the hair needs. The most natural look is highlights in the front with all over color.
- Tips for summer hair-trends? Make sure to use products with SPF. Deep conditioning treatments once a week are essential. The current color collection was focused on panels of lighter color through the front. Very soft and wearable looks for summer.
Color used on me: tint with highlights. Brighter blonde highlights and a brighter base color for summer. Different tones of blonde. Base is butter blonde and pale blonde highlights.
Tani’s tips were as follows:
- Work a concave layer to help the hair be loose.
- Clean up the shape and remove the weight without compromising the length.
- When the hair is dry deconstruct the layers, and removing weight internally.
- Most popular cuts?: Short hair has never been so popular. Along with a cut that is easy for summer. Manageable, effortless looks. For longer hair think loose, messy, undone hair. No matter what the hair must have structure. The perfectly undone look. Loose texture and movement is the most popular. Everyone wants to lighten up with their hair.
- People are looking for more detail with their haircuts. Something more suited to them, their face shape. Detail around the face is essential. For summer hair needs to look good up or down. Having those options is key.
- An oldie but goodie is Sebastian potion 9. Great for fine or thick hair. Apply mid lengths to ends first, then left over goes on the roots.
- When straightening the hair, make sure to use a cream to give the hair weight. Oils are great for texture and curling/defining the hair
- It is good to change up your hair products from time to time. Sebastian trilliant is excellent for heat protection to coat the hair and give the hair memory. It helps he hair hold the form and have a protective layer before applying heat.
- For summer waves using a 1.25 barrel is key. You can wrap it around the barrel for a clampless curl as well.
- The detail work makes the haircut yours, and should never be ignored. It “makes it yours” Try aggressive deconstructing texturizing technique to loosen the hair.
To follow the talented artists at Sassoon, keep up with their staff via social media: