by Sian Bitner Kearney:
When it comes to trends, I’ve always found the “Old Hollywood” look to leave me wishing I’d been born in the days of Marilyn Monroe and pin-up girls. Amidst all of the sexy poses and fancy dresses was seriously glamorous makeup, and more and more we are seeing this look on the red carpet. Thankfully, you don’t need a silver screen or an invite to a top notch gala to sport this gorgeous look. Here’s everything you’ll need for full on Hollywood glam!
The very first step to achieving the Old Hollywood Glam look is to have flawless skin. Start by exfoliating thoroughly and applying a good moisturizer. Next, prep with a primer and use a foundation that produces an airbrushed affect Like Sephora’s Perfection Mist Airbrush. If needed, apply a light dusting of powder to the T-Zone area or skip for a slight dewy glow.
Cheeks for this look are simple. Dust the apples of the cheeks with a reddish hue like Dolce & Gabbana’s Luminous Cheek Colour in the shade, “Sole”. Remember to go lightly. You’re not looking for full-on color here, but more of a “just pinched” look.
The next point of focus is the eyes. Begin with a silver shadow like Urban Decay’s eyeshadow in the shade, “Polyester Bride” and apply all over the lid. Next, choose a liquid liner like Stilla’s All Day Waterproof liner in black, and apply to the top lash line only, slightly flicking out and up at the outer corners to create a bit of a cat eye. Finish the eyes with several coats of black mascara like Benefit’s They’re Real Mascara, again just focusing on the top lashes for that gorgeous pin-up look.
The Old Hollywood Glam look is all about the lips so take your time on this step. First, make sure your lips have been thoroughly prepped by exfoliating and smoothing them with a hydrating balm. Next, you’ll want to grab a lip pencil that closely matches the shade of red lipstick that you’ve chosen. We Love Makeup Forever’s Aqua Lip in red. Lightly draw the line around your lips, extending just slightly when you reach the Cupid ’s bow. Use your finger to slightly smudge the line inward in order to avoid that “outlined” look. When it comes to filling in your lips, choosing a long lasting formula will always be your best option. For this look, we love Make Up Forever’s Aqua Rouge in the shade, “Iconic Red”.
While this look works best with a glamorous evening gown, it can easily be paired with jeans and T-shirt by simply glaming up your accessories.
If you are as obsessed with Mad Med as I am, then you will love this next look! Celebrity makeup artist Mai Quynh created the look for Jessica Paré using tarte products for the Mad Men Season 7 premiere last night.
Get the Look: Jessica Paré
event: The Mad Men Season 7 premiere
makeup artist: makeup artist Mai Quynh for tarte
inspiration: “I was inspired by the cut of the dress. It was very structured, so I wanted to do something fun and modern with her makeup. I wanted to do a slight graphic line, while leaving the rest of her makeup soft and fresh.” –makeup artist Mai Quynh
• To prep Jessica’s face, Mai applied clean slate flawless 12-hr brightening primer.
• Next, she applied Amazonian clay 12-hr full coverage foundation in fair beige with a foundation brush.
• To create a flawless complexion, she dotted maracuja creaseless concealer in fair around her eyes and on any blemishes.
• For a punchy, natural-looking flush, she applied thecheek stain in tipsy over the apples of her cheeks, then followed with Amazonian clay 12-hour blush in glisten for extra color.
•She set her complexion with smooth operator™ Amazonian clay pressed finishing powder.
• To create a dramatic eye, Mai applied a thick line along her upper lash line using lights, camera, lashes™ precision longwear liquid liner in black. Next, she lined the lower inner rim of her eyes with skinny smolderEYES™ Amazonian clay waterproof liner in onyx and smudged the two liners together.
• She finished the eyes by applying two coats of gifted™ Amazonian clay smart mascara in black to her upper lashes.
•For a punchy coral, Mai mixed LipSurgence™ power pigment in tipsy with LipSurgence™ lipgloss in blissful for a gorgeous pop-art hue.
GET THE LOOK:
For any last minute Halloween ideas, here are some sexy looks from Make Up For Ever!
- Create lighted luminous skin by mixing your HD Foundation shade with white Flash Color. Apply with a brush and buff with the HD Sponge for a transparent effect.
- Smooth and finish with a small amount of HD Micofinishing Powder.
- Highlight the high points of the cheekbones, bridge of nose, and forehead with #967 Star Powder.
- Sculpt the contours of cheeks, temples, and jaw with#165 Eye Shadow.
- Apply #16 Aqua Shadow from lash line to crease, then, layer #61Eye Shadow onto the lid and through the crease to intensify color.
- Apply #8C Aqua Lip to the top and bottom waterline. Line the upper lash line with Aqua Black creating a winged effect at the outer corner of your eye. Apply 25L Aqua Eyes to the bottom lash line then smudge.
- Now, add depth in the crease by applying #163 Eye Shadow through the
crease and re-intensify with Aqua Black.
- Finish lashes with Smoky Extravagant#112 Faux Lash.
- Define lips with #12C Aqua lip. Fill the lips in with #12 Aqua Rouge. Add dripping blood for a freshly feed effect.
Start by laying down a thin amount of spirit gum. Roll two small pieces of plasto wax
into balls. Press flat and lay down over sprit gum, use your fingers to blend edges
into your skin. Then puncture the Plasto Wax with a spatula. To enhance the torn
flesh effect use Flash Color in black to darken punctured area and red around the
outside of the wound for irritation. Finish the effect with Thick Blood.
by Sian Bitner Kearney
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’re probably familiar with Emma Stone. She made us laugh in Superbad, kicked some undead butt in Zombieland, served as Spidy’s main squeeze in the Amazing Spider-Man, and who could forget that Dirty Dancing reenactment opposite Ryan Gosling in Crazy, Stupid, Love? Whether she’s blonde, brunette or her signature red, Stone warms the world with her unique beauty and infectious smile. One of our favorite looks on Emma is the one she wore to the 2012 Golden Globes. To recreate this look for yourself, you’ll need the following:
- Emma’s fair skin seems flawless on its own, but the average woman might need a little coverage to achieve perfection.
- For flawless skin that looks as though you were born with it, use Smashbox Liquid Halo HD Foundation. The liquid formula melts into your skin, prevents shine without being too matte, and has a stunning glow.
- Follow up with Smashbox’s Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder for skin that appears airbrushed to perfection.
- Because Emma’s skin is so fair, the blush needs to have a pinch of color without being too bright. For this type of fearless flush, we recommend L’Oreal’s True Match Blush in the shade, “Tender Rose”.
- To recreate Emma’s smoky cat eye, start with Revlon’s Diamond Lust Eyeshadow in the shade, “Celestial Silver” and apply from the upper lashline to just above the crease.
- Next add that same shadow under the bottom lashline and the inner corners of the eyes.
- Next apply Revlon’s Color Perle Eyeshadow in the shade, “Black Galaxy” to the crease of the upper lid, below the outer corner of the lower lashline and then blend together in a v-type shape in the corner of the eye.
- Line the inside of the eyes with Dior’s Waterproof Eyeliner in the shade, “Trinidad Black”, then finish the eye with one coat of Dior’s waterproof black mascara.
- Emma’s lips are a beautiful shade of pink, adding warmth to her complexion without competing with her dramatic eye.
- For this pretty pucker, apply Bobbi Brown’s Sheer Lip Color in the shade, “Passion Fruit”. A look this intense is meant for evening so pair it with your most alluring little black dress and own the night!
Are you as obsessed with Scandal as I am?! I was glued to my television last night. Obsessed! One of my favorite parts of the show is the phenomenal actors and actresses on the show. And Kerry Washington is such a luminous and stunning actress that her look is always flawless.
Just this week, NARS worked with makeup artist Brigitte Reiss-Anderson to create multiple beauty looks for Kerry Washington as she promoted the Season 3 premiere of Scandal in New York.
Makeup Artist: Brigitte Reiss-Anderson for NARS Cosmetics
“I am always inspired by the clothing. When I saw Kerry’s white dress, it was easy to see what I needed to do: sheer, fresh and light. The new Radiant Cream Compact Foundations worked perfectly for this look.”
Celebrity hairstylist Creighton Bowman created the look for Connie Britton for tonight’s Emmys using Leonor Greyl products. Here he shows us how he created the look and the inspiration behind it!
INSPIRATION: “Connie is wearing this gorgeous blue/green velvet gown by Naeem Khan that has gold and bronze embellishments on it. So we went with a very editorial Veronica Lake look, we wanted the Hollywood waves but with a little “disheveled elegance”.
GET THE LOOK:
- I started by shampooing her hair with Leonor Greyl Shampooing Reviviscence but decided to leave out conditioner because of the longevity of the hairstyle for the night.
- Then, I prepped her wet hair with Leonor Greyl Lait Luminescence and towel-dried her hair after.
- To start to create the volume we wanted for her waves, I lightly applied Mousse au Lotus Volumatrice all over her hair from root to tip.
- Then I blew it out with a paddle brush for a lot of volume and used Serum de Soie to give her hair a bit of shine. Wanting more control in the front of the hair, I applied the Gel a l’Hibiscus along her hairline.
- Then we got started on the waves. I began by spraying Leonor Greyl Condition Naturelle on each section of her hair, then curling each section with a half-inch curling iron and set everything with pin curls.
- Afterwards, I went through and took out the pin curls and created a deep side part. To give her hair more texture before moving on, I misted Voluforme all over.
- Next, I brushed out her curls with a large paddle brush and then backcombed parts of her hair with a really wide toothed comb.
- This gave it the “disheveled elegance” aspect that we were going for.
- Lastly, I used Spray Structure Naturelle which is an amazing styling spray that gives strong hold to have her hairstyle last all night!”
Vanessa Scali for Elizabeth Arden
INSPIRATION: “Christina is a stunning, radiant beauty. We have been working together for many years and it is always a pleasure to work with her. She wore a black Christian Siriano gown and new blonde locks to the Emmys. We could have really gone in any direction with the makeup: bold lips, smoky eyes, fresh and pretty... In the end, we went for a fresh face and a warm, red lip.” – Vanessa Scali
GET THE LOOK:
- On days you need extra staying power, skip the heavy moisturizers and use a serum instead. Prep face with Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Capsules– they make a great primer. They are packed with treatment and thoroughly penetrate the skin leaving it a clean, even canvas for your foundation.
- Apply Elizabeth Arden Flawless Finish Sponge-On Cream Makeup to give it a soft, luminous glow. Swipe foundation along the bridge of nose, cheeks, chin and forehead and use the sponge to blend the color to the outer edges of the face
- Dab Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Lift and Firm Concealer under the eyes and on the inner hollow (on the nose) just beside the inner corner of the eyes
- For a pop of color, use Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Cream Blush in Pink to flush the cheeks. This makes the skin look fresh and lit from within.
- Using very little, swipe the darker shade in the Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Eye Shadow Duo in Precious Metals from the lash line of the eyelid to the crease, and under the lower lashes as well. Blend it into the skin so there is no border. The subtle shading gives the eye definition in a soft and sexy way.
- Apply Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Smoky Eyes Pencil in Smoky Black on the upper lid, starting with a thin line on the inner corner of the eyes and becoming progressively thicker toward the outer corners of the eyes. Using a small tapered brush, smudge a touch of it into the lower lashes under the eyes.
- Curl the lashes well and apply a few generous coats of Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Lash Enhancing Mascara in Black on the top lashes, with one coat on the bottom.
- Enhance brows with Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Brow Shaper & Eyeliner in Soft Blonde.
- Apply Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Moisturizing Lipstick (12 hour formula) in Power Red. This warm red looks bold and elegant.