Welcome to TheMakeupBlogger
Hello, my name is Christina and I am a makeup junkie. It's been a problem since I was 14 and my mom took me to the Clinique counter.... more
Online Makeup School
Not quite sure how to do makeup yourself? Let me help you! Connect with me online and I can create your easy to master makeup routine! find out more
Best of Lips!
Amazing Eye Palettes!
- Tria Age Defying Laser Review and Results
- 5 Quick Beauty Tips
- Friday Top 5 – Best Mascaras
- Private Makeup Lessons and Group Workshops
- How to Apply Makeup After 60 Years Old
- Friday Top 5- Best Luminizers
- Secrets to Flawless Foundation
- How To: False Eyelashes and Lash Extensions
- Top 5 Best Blush Dupes
- Abreva Conceal – Cover Up That Cold Sore!
- Beauty Deals at Nordstrom Rack
- Try On Studio
Best of Bronze!
Around the Web!
The picture you see of a crazy woman leaping off a very tiny pole… that’s me. Yep, that is me flying through the air after taking a very scary jump off a very TALL pole. A pole that I had to climb. A pole that I was told represented what I wanted to overcome in my life. And I climbed that pole as I was shaking and scared and wondering how in the world I was going to hoist myself up onto the tiny round platform. It represented me pulling myself up, standing tall on shaky ground and taking a chance to leap forward toward what I want I life. All leaps in life are scary, but this was one of the most emotionally and physically terrifying things I have ever done. It was my “Leap of Faith” and to say that it changed me is an understatement.
Let’s start from the beginning, shall we? Because I am not someone who normally leaps off poles, or jumps off ziplines. That was me when I was in my 20’s….now, not so much. Life and fear has gotten the best of me in the past few years. To be honest, life has taken a big chunk out of me, and I wanted to reclaim some of my old fearlessness, passion and chutzpah. So I went away to camp. You heard that right! I went away for a weekend retreat for women at Campowerment. It was the best decision I have made in a very long time (except for saying a big fat YES to marrying Mike. That is the world’s best decision……but I digress).
Founder Tammi Leader Fuller pursued her passion for providing a space for women to get back a little “me time”. A place where girlfriends, mothers and daughters, or single ladies looking for some space could go and find a way to recharge, refresh, and find their strength again. Because let’s face it, we are all drained. We are all being pulled into thousand different directions. We are all too damn tired. All. The. Time.
The camp experience brings together experts from all over the industry teaching you how to find some peace in your daily life, whether it be with yoga classes, business strategies, wellness seminars or creative activities. I spent four days reigniting my soul. I made vision boards, I took journaling classes, a class on organization (who doesn’t need that help!) and I listened to some of the most powerful female coaches who moved me to get my act in gear. And yes, I ended the weekend by facing my fears and taking a very giant leap of faith.
This time at camp is something tremendous and necessary for every woman I know. This is something to share with your mother, your best friend, your sister, or simply go by yourself. I went alone and walked away with some amazing new friends. Yes, I was nervous and afraid…but isn’t that the point? To move forward toward something that is unknown because you need to be woken up! You need to be able to feel reignited. You need to let go and allow yourself to breathe again.
Mike has said I came home a new woman, and although I am not sure if that is true, I can say with all my heart that I found that 20 year old girl inside me and got some of my fearlessness back. I found my spunk and my spark again.
So, this mothers day I would like for you to give YOURSELF a gift. Give yourself the gift of reconnecting with yourself again. You are worth it.
1) Mario Badescu Glycolic Foaming Cleanser: Radiant, clear skin is within your reach. For dull, congested skin, Mario Badescu's lathering deep cleanser has the exfoliating power of glycolic acid to break down build-up from skin's surface, reduce minor discoloration and minimize clogged pores which can cause pimples.
2) Philosophy Purity Made Simple: You do not need a makeup remover and a toner to complete the cleansing process. Most cleansers are formulated to foam, push around, and hopefully rinse away dirt and makeup. 'purity made simple' was formulated to actually emulsify and dissolve dirt, embedded debris and makeup rather than creating a lot of foam without a lot of clean. Nothing takes makeup off better!
3) Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Facial Cleanser, Pink Grapefruit: An oldie but goodie! Still one of my favorite washes when I start to breakout. This newest version has an uplifting blast of grapefruit plus vitamin c, this unique formula clears blemishes and blackheads. Eliminates oil and dirt without over-drying.
4) Jurlique Rose Moisture Plus Moisturizing Cleanser: I personally love how moisturizer, and creamy this lathering cleanser is. It is a lightly whipped, high-performance cleanser with an antioxidant complex and skin conditioning ingredients that dissolve impurities and help moisturize the skin. It also provides immediate and lasting hydration to the skin's surface.
The sequence in which you apply serums, creams and cosmetics can be as important as the products themselves, so we asked a celebrity dermatologist and a makeup artist for their advice on what goes on when and why.
The Basics of Skin Care
Apply products with active ingredients that are designed to repair before you apply heavier products that protect. These “actives” include antioxidants, alpha hydroxy acids, peptides, vitamins and pigment lighteners. They contain molecules small enough to penetrate the outer layer of skin in order to get down to the deeper layers where they work to hydrate, brighten, smooth and firm the skin.
- Heavier products, such as moisturizers and sunscreens, go on next because they function as shields, keeping UV rays out and moisture in, says Ava Shamban, M.D., who is the featured dermatologist on ABC’s “Extreme Makeover.”
- “If you make the mistake of topping a sunscreen with an antioxidant serum, the serum won’t be able to sink in since the cells are already sealed,” says Shamban. In other words, access denied, no matter how pricey or terrific the product may be.
The Basics of Cosmetics
Applying cosmetics in the right order results in a natural-looking finish and streamlines the process by preventing mistakes.
- “It has a lot to do with texture, such as not putting cream formulations on top of powdered ones,” says makeup artist Tonya Crooks, whose regular clients include Megan Fox and Fergie.
- Using a mineral powder foundation before cream blush will look blotchy because it will be hard to blend the blush.
- Lipstick should always go under lip gloss, so you can still achieve the shine you’re after.
Top Ten Beauty Rules of Order
Only a beauty-pageant contender would use all of the products that follow, but for purposes of illustration, here they are in their optimal order of application, after your morning cleansing routine.
1. If you use hydrating mists to plump up the skin, or gels for acne or rosacea, apply now. The mists soften the top layer of dead skin cells (the stratum corneum) and help conduct water-soluble products down to the deeper layers of skin.
2. Active ingredients in water-soluble gels and serums go on now. Examples are antioxidant serums, AHAs, peptides, vitamins C and E, ferulic acid, growth factors and pigment lighteners.
If you're looking for that youthful, young glow, the trick is a lovely peach blush, which brightens up the face, a little bit of highlighter on the cheekbones and, then, the perfect peachy-nude lipstick.
All of these will help to brighten up the skin and make you appear youthful and vibrant.
For this look, I'm going to use this beautiful soft peach, which is matte, and then top it with a highlighter that is a lovely champagne color.
- Going from the apples of the cheeks, softly blend up. As you can see in the video above, I'm using round, circular motions, that helps to blend and apply at the same time.
- You don't want to streak up the face because that will leave a harsh look. You want it to be soft and glow-y. As you can see in the video above, this is already brightening up the skin.
- Next, I'm going to take the champagne highlighter and pop it on the top of the cheekbones to really give a lit from within glow.
- Another trick is you can take that same champagne highlighter and put a little bit right there on the top of the cheekbones.
- Next, we're going to use a lovely peach-colored lip gloss to brighten up the face.
- To look youthful, you want to make sure that you're using softer colors. Dark colors can sometimes appear very harsh and actually age the look. By using a bright peach or apricot color, you're still getting a vibrancy to the face but you're keeping it softer, more voluptuous and sensual and not creating a hard cast.
- To get that vibrant, youthful look, you want to keep to softer, warmer colors such as peaches, apricots, champagne colors; these will lift the skin, brighten them up and create that glow that you're looking for.