Celebrity makeup artist Coleen Campbell-Olwell used Orlane products to create Kate Mara’s stunning look for the red carpet premiere of ‘Transcendence’.
“For Kate’s look tonight, she’s wearing a gorgeous, gold Valentino dress with swept-up hair, so we decided to do bold and metallic shadows on her eyes with a pop of color and luminous, radiant skin."
- Since the weather here in LA is so warm and dry, I started by massaging in Orlane’s Super-Moisturizing Light Cream for extra hydration. This product is a staple in my kit! It really preps the skin so that the foundation goes on smoothly.
- I then dabbed on Orlane’s Absolute Skin Recovery Eye Contour under her eyes.
- Next, I mixed two drops of the Morning Recovery Concentrate into Chanel’s Vitalumiere Foundation for extra luminosity and applied it with a dampened Beauty Blender.
- For extra definition, I contoured under her cheekbones with a medium-sized fluffy brush and Orlane’s Bronzer in Soleil Cuivre 02. This bronzer is perfect for contouring because it is matte and looks so natural.
- Then, to add a hint of peach to the apples of her cheeks, I swirled on Dior’s Blush in Amber Show.
- On Kate’s eyes, I applied metallic and gold shadows and used a purple accent for a pop of color.
- I decided to forgo false lashes and instead lined her top lash line with Antonym’s Certified Natural Eye Pencil in Noir.
- To add density to her lashes, I took a small, dense shadow brush and smudged it in.
- Then, I applied two coats of Orlane’s Volume Care Mascara. I LOVE this mascara as it creates such long, lush lashes
- I love Kate’s lip color, so we went au natural and just applied a balm on top to keep them hydrated.
*To finish off the look, I used Orlane’s Highlight Care Brush to add extra glow to the top of her cheekbones, the inside corner of her eyes, and the top of her lip line.
Lastly, I dusted Orlane’s Translucent Loose Powder on her t-zone.
by Sian Bitner Kearney:
When it comes to trends, I’ve always found the “Old Hollywood” look to leave me wishing I’d been born in the days of Marilyn Monroe and pin-up girls. Amidst all of the sexy poses and fancy dresses was seriously glamorous makeup, and more and more we are seeing this look on the red carpet. Thankfully, you don’t need a silver screen or an invite to a top notch gala to sport this gorgeous look. Here’s everything you’ll need for full on Hollywood glam!
The very first step to achieving the Old Hollywood Glam look is to have flawless skin. Start by exfoliating thoroughly and applying a good moisturizer. Next, prep with a primer and use a foundation that produces an airbrushed affect Like Sephora’s Perfection Mist Airbrush. If needed, apply a light dusting of powder to the T-Zone area or skip for a slight dewy glow.
Cheeks for this look are simple. Dust the apples of the cheeks with a reddish hue like Dolce & Gabbana’s Luminous Cheek Colour in the shade, “Sole”. Remember to go lightly. You’re not looking for full-on color here, but more of a “just pinched” look.
The next point of focus is the eyes. Begin with a silver shadow like Urban Decay’s eyeshadow in the shade, “Polyester Bride” and apply all over the lid. Next, choose a liquid liner like Stilla’s All Day Waterproof liner in black, and apply to the top lash line only, slightly flicking out and up at the outer corners to create a bit of a cat eye. Finish the eyes with several coats of black mascara like Benefit’s They’re Real Mascara, again just focusing on the top lashes for that gorgeous pin-up look.
The Old Hollywood Glam look is all about the lips so take your time on this step. First, make sure your lips have been thoroughly prepped by exfoliating and smoothing them with a hydrating balm. Next, you’ll want to grab a lip pencil that closely matches the shade of red lipstick that you’ve chosen. We Love Makeup Forever’s Aqua Lip in red. Lightly draw the line around your lips, extending just slightly when you reach the Cupid ’s bow. Use your finger to slightly smudge the line inward in order to avoid that “outlined” look. When it comes to filling in your lips, choosing a long lasting formula will always be your best option. For this look, we love Make Up Forever’s Aqua Rouge in the shade, “Iconic Red”.
While this look works best with a glamorous evening gown, it can easily be paired with jeans and T-shirt by simply glaming up your accessories.
by Sian Bitner Kearney:
Ladies, it is finally time to put those dreary shades of winter away and embrace the warmth of spring. This season’s shades are electric; popping with hints of orange, blue, purple and more. So say bye-bye to those neutrals and prepare to have some serious fun with color as we introduce the season’s hottest beauty trends!
Lips are absolutely bursting with color this season in neon shades of orange, fuchsia, and hot pink. The colors work great as the focal point of your look or as a compliment to a smokey eye at night.
Cobalt blue is the “it” color for eyes this season and there are so many ways to rock it! For an intense look, use a cobalt eyeshadow solo or layer it over a black shadow. If you’re living life on the subtle side, top off a neutral eye with cobalt blue eyeliner to add some edge to the every day.
The cheek color of the season is berry. If you’re fair skinned, select a lighter, subtler shade. For medium to dark complexions, you will want to stick with a deep berry shade. Steer clear of sparkles though; this color is wild enough to stand on its own without the added drama.
Yellow is the fun color for spring and the variations of the shade that you choose to wear are completely up to you. For day or for the office, shoot for a pale yellow. For a night on the town, pump up the brightness with a canary or neon shade of yellow.
Remember, these looks are both bold and beautiful but shouldn’t necessarily be worn together. Pick one or two areas to brighten up, and stay neutral everywhere else. Now go grab your favorite spring dress and leave winter in your rear view!
by Sian Bitner Kearney:
Whether you’re married or just dating, planning a date night not only gives you a little romance to look forward to it’s also the perfect excuse to ditch your day-to-day look and go for that little extra bit of gorgeous! Here are our top five picks for gorgeous date night beauty.
Few things ruin a romantic dinner like lipstick on your teeth or lipstick on your partner. However, most women rely on a little lip color to bring some dazzle to their beauty look. Next date night ditch the usual lipstick and opt for a stain. One of our favorites is TARTE LipSurgence Lip Tint in the shade, “Joy”.
You can easily add a touch of warmth to your skin with a bronzing powder or peach blush. Applied to the apples of the cheeks and along the forehead line, these shades give a warm glow to your skin making it look healthy without giving a fake tan appearance. We love NARS’ Blush/Bronzer Duo in the shades, “Orgasm/Laguna”.
No need to resort to dark browns and blacks for a beautiful smokey eye. Layering shades of gold and copper can be just as dramatic while also creating a dreamy, candlelit effect. Line eyes with a dark brown or black liner, then layer and smudge with a golden/copper shadow. For this look, we recommend Kat Von D’s Shade Shifter shadow in the shade, “Devotion”.
Highlight Your Assets
There is no better way to bring a romantic glow to your skin than by using a beautiful highlighter. Liquid highlighters especially, give skin a healthy, soft glow. Add touches above cheekbones, to corners of the eyes, or use add glow to you collar bones or along the shins of your legs. Never overdo the highlighter though, you want to have a soft shimmer, NOT look like a disco, glitter queen. Try Benefit’s High Beam highlighter for the perfect shimmer every time!
Let Your Hair Down
Pony tails and buns are perfect for the day or weekend errands but date night is your night to shine! Loose, soft waves are still super hot right now and nothing is sexier that wavy tendrils covering your shoulders over a candlelight dinner. Grab a large barrel clipless curling wand and wind 1” sections away from your face. Once all the hair is curled, tousle lightly with your fingers, add a touch or hairspray and your gorgeous and ready to go! Try Sultra’s Bombshell Oval Curling Iron for gorgeous Victoria Secret type waves!
Celebrity Makeup Artist: Lisa Storey for Jouer Cosmetics
“To balance the sexy silver gown that fit Miranda so perfectly, I was inspired to keep a feeling of a fresh faced classic beauty. I loved the bright pops of coral and peach hues while keeping the eyes subtle and soft but still with a glamorous feel.”
- To begin, I prepped the skin with Jouer Anti-Aging Moisture Primer followed by Luminizing Moisture Tint in Golden.
- I applied Age-Repairing Perfecter no. 2 in Crème for more coverage where needed and Age-Repairing Brightener in Medium under the eye area.
- On Miranda’s eyes I applied Crème Eyeshadow Crayons in Rococo over the lid, blending the outer corner with Baroque.
- I dusted Powder Eyeshadow in Walnut in the crease and blended upward and outward.
- I lined the inner eye with Eye Definer in Chocolat, finishing her look with lashings of Everyday Effortless Mascara in Noir.
- The brows were gently filled with Brow Definer in Cendré.
- For the cheeks I patted Tint in Poppy on the cheeks, then after a light dust of Mineral Face Powder in Perle Naturel, I applied Mineral Powder Blush in Peach Bouquet.
I completed the look with Hydrating Lipstick in Grace.
Spring is all about color and Jamie Chung (the new face of mark cosmetics!)shows us how to look effortlessly stylish in all of spring's hottest shades! mark Celebrity Makeup Artist Jamie Greenberg created Jamie’s cover look explaining, “Jamie is a classic beauty so I wanted to stay true to her but with a pop of extra personality! We kept everything fresh and flirty for spring with a little splash of color on the eyes!”
Jamie's Cover Look:
- Sweep mark's Color Swing Mix It Up Palette in the light blue shade (middle) over the lids as well as in the creases.
- Next, apply the dark blue shade (right) at the outer corners of the lid and the yellow shade (left) along the inner corners of the eye.
- Run mark's No Place To Run Longwear Eyeliner in Indigo Girl along the upper lash line.
- Finish the eye, with two coats of mark's Lash Act Build and Define Mascara in Blackest Black.
- Swirl brush over mark's Blooming Pretty Highlighting Face Powder and dust onto apples of the cheeks.
- Apply mark's Lipclick Full Color Lipstick in Baby Luv and finish with mark's Juice Gems High Shine Lip Gloss in Snow Peach for an extra-glossy finish.
*This is a sponsored post for U by Kotex, who provided me products to review. You can get a free sample from U by Kotex too at http://bit.ly/107R90y and Do the Demo.
I am often asked what I carry around in my ridiculously large handbag. You see, I carry a very big Marry Poppins type bag, filled with all my daily necessities and possible needs. I feel naked without my bags and my things. I have tried in the past to downsize, but it is just not happening!
Here is what is currently in my handbag:
- Handbag by one of my favorite sites:64bags
- Tocca hand cream: Loving this rich, yet easily absorbed hand cream. The fragrance is not overwhelming, and it keeps my hands buttery soft.
- makeup kit with NARS, Orlane, ItCosmetics, Jouer and CoverGirl products for on the go touch ups.
- My current favorite book: Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed
- To do list/notepad: I still like to write things down and make daily lists. A must!
Iphone and keys
- hair bands for my everyday ponytail needs.
- U by Kotex: I adore that these are packaged beautifully, so no one needs to know I am carrying around my lady things. They have the best protection, and perfect for on the go!
I wrote this review while participating in a content series through Crowdtap on behalf of U by Kotex, and received products to facilitate my post and compensation for my time to participate