*Purchased by me. Contains affiliate links.
I'm Gouldylox and unofficially, I'm the Makeup Blogger's Little Sister. It all started when I was in LA and everyone kept thinking I was her. Forget that I'm a foot taller and her hair is way better than mine. It happened at a conference later that year as well. We've been related ever since! I'm a product junkie like you've never seen...check out my five favorite palettes of Spring 2014! What are your favorites?
Too Faced A La Mode Eyes is perfect for spring. The colors, the blend-ability and wear. It's just gorgeous.PANTONE's Radiant Orchid Palette is one of the best values available at Sephora right now. The looks you can create are endless and if you love that pinkish-purple orchid shade, you have to have it.
Kat Von D's Monarch Palette is a warm palette that's full of non-traditional warm hues. Of course, the pigments are beautiful and glide on like butter.
It Cosmetics Naturally Beautiful palette is mostly matte, with a shade that changes everything into a shimmer. If you love nudes or think you can't wear shimmer, this is the easiest palette to wear, ever.Finally, Physican's Formula Shimmer Strips All in One Nude Palette for Face and Eyes is amazing. It gives you the youthful glow of a rising country singer without breaking the bank.
The search for a fabulous concealer is always going on for most beauty junkies and that includes me. I’m Marcia from Beauty Info Zone and I’ve reviewed at least a dozen concealers on my blog. I have found a few that I love but that doesn’t mean I’m not always searching for something new since you just never know when that “holy grail” item will come along.
Smashbox Camera Ready BB Eye Cream ($25) is the latest that I’ve added to my collection. I bought it because I love BB Creams (even though I’ve never tried the one from Smashbox) and because I love the idea of having Broad Spectrum SPF 15 in the product.What makes it so interesting is that it’s really an eye cream that has the benefits of a BB Cream. It’s packaged in a wand that clicks up to allow the product to flow out into an applicator brush. It comes in 5 shades. I’m almost always the lightest shade in foundations and concealers and Fair works well for me. It blends onto my skin seamlessly. Other shades are Light, Light/Medium, Medium, and Dark.
Here are some of the pros about this BB Eye Cream:
· -The Fair matches my skin perfectly.
· -It’s great to prime the area under my eyes.
· - Broad Spectrum SPF 15 is a bonus.
· -It’s very hydrating; I always feel my eyes are well moisturized when using this.
· - It’s pretty good about concealing dark circles (but notice I didn’t say great).
Here are some of the cons in my opinion:
· -The price is high at $25.00. There’s only 0.12 oz in the tube so mostly you are paying for packaging.
· - According to Smashbox it visibly smoothes fine lines and wrinkles. I don’t find that at all. Luckily the lines under my eyes are very fine but they don’t look visibly smoother when using this.
· - It doesn’t last the entire day. It looks good almost all day but by dinner time I can see it looking somewhat crepey under my eyes. It’s easy to smooth out but it never feels perfect once this happens.· -If you have serious concealing to do, I don’t think this is the tool for the job.
While I haven’t fallen in love with Smashbox Camera Ready BB Eye Cream I’m not sorry I bought it and I’ve been using it often. Smashbox says that over time it will reduce those dark circles but I’m not so sure about that, especially when I jump around from product to product between being fickle and testing new concealers out. Put this on your list if you have dryness under your eyes since it’s perfect for hydrating that area.
I’ve read complaints on Sephora about the brush being stiff and the product being dry but that doesn’t describe the Smashbox BB Eye Cream I’m using. I’ve been using this for a few months and the brush is as soft as ever as is the product.
As for my favorite undereye concealers I’d rate It Cosmetics Bye Bye Undereye and Tarte Maracuja Creaseless Concealer as my top two. Both are around the same price but with more than double the amount of product. Am I sorry I bought the Smashbox? No way, I’m using it often and will use it even more once the sun isn’t hiding from me.
Thank you for reading. I hope you’ll visit my blog partner Lisa and me at http://www.beautyinfozone.com.
Celebrity makeup artist Coleen Campbell-Olwell used Orlane products to create Kate Mara’s stunning look for the red carpet premiere of ‘Transcendence’.
“For Kate’s look tonight, she’s wearing a gorgeous, gold Valentino dress with swept-up hair, so we decided to do bold and metallic shadows on her eyes with a pop of color and luminous, radiant skin."
- Since the weather here in LA is so warm and dry, I started by massaging in Orlane’s Super-Moisturizing Light Cream for extra hydration. This product is a staple in my kit! It really preps the skin so that the foundation goes on smoothly.
- I then dabbed on Orlane’s Absolute Skin Recovery Eye Contour under her eyes.
- Next, I mixed two drops of the Morning Recovery Concentrate into Chanel’s Vitalumiere Foundation for extra luminosity and applied it with a dampened Beauty Blender.
- For extra definition, I contoured under her cheekbones with a medium-sized fluffy brush and Orlane’s Bronzer in Soleil Cuivre 02. This bronzer is perfect for contouring because it is matte and looks so natural.
- Then, to add a hint of peach to the apples of her cheeks, I swirled on Dior’s Blush in Amber Show.
- On Kate’s eyes, I applied metallic and gold shadows and used a purple accent for a pop of color.
- I decided to forgo false lashes and instead lined her top lash line with Antonym’s Certified Natural Eye Pencil in Noir.
- To add density to her lashes, I took a small, dense shadow brush and smudged it in.
- Then, I applied two coats of Orlane’s Volume Care Mascara. I LOVE this mascara as it creates such long, lush lashes
- I love Kate’s lip color, so we went au natural and just applied a balm on top to keep them hydrated.
*To finish off the look, I used Orlane’s Highlight Care Brush to add extra glow to the top of her cheekbones, the inside corner of her eyes, and the top of her lip line.
Lastly, I dusted Orlane’s Translucent Loose Powder on her t-zone.
by Sian Bitner Kearney:
When it comes to trends, I’ve always found the “Old Hollywood” look to leave me wishing I’d been born in the days of Marilyn Monroe and pin-up girls. Amidst all of the sexy poses and fancy dresses was seriously glamorous makeup, and more and more we are seeing this look on the red carpet. Thankfully, you don’t need a silver screen or an invite to a top notch gala to sport this gorgeous look. Here’s everything you’ll need for full on Hollywood glam!
The very first step to achieving the Old Hollywood Glam look is to have flawless skin. Start by exfoliating thoroughly and applying a good moisturizer. Next, prep with a primer and use a foundation that produces an airbrushed affect Like Sephora’s Perfection Mist Airbrush. If needed, apply a light dusting of powder to the T-Zone area or skip for a slight dewy glow.
Cheeks for this look are simple. Dust the apples of the cheeks with a reddish hue like Dolce & Gabbana’s Luminous Cheek Colour in the shade, “Sole”. Remember to go lightly. You’re not looking for full-on color here, but more of a “just pinched” look.
The next point of focus is the eyes. Begin with a silver shadow like Urban Decay’s eyeshadow in the shade, “Polyester Bride” and apply all over the lid. Next, choose a liquid liner like Stilla’s All Day Waterproof liner in black, and apply to the top lash line only, slightly flicking out and up at the outer corners to create a bit of a cat eye. Finish the eyes with several coats of black mascara like Benefit’s They’re Real Mascara, again just focusing on the top lashes for that gorgeous pin-up look.
The Old Hollywood Glam look is all about the lips so take your time on this step. First, make sure your lips have been thoroughly prepped by exfoliating and smoothing them with a hydrating balm. Next, you’ll want to grab a lip pencil that closely matches the shade of red lipstick that you’ve chosen. We Love Makeup Forever’s Aqua Lip in red. Lightly draw the line around your lips, extending just slightly when you reach the Cupid ’s bow. Use your finger to slightly smudge the line inward in order to avoid that “outlined” look. When it comes to filling in your lips, choosing a long lasting formula will always be your best option. For this look, we love Make Up Forever’s Aqua Rouge in the shade, “Iconic Red”.
While this look works best with a glamorous evening gown, it can easily be paired with jeans and T-shirt by simply glaming up your accessories.
by Sian Bitner Kearney:
Ladies, it is finally time to put those dreary shades of winter away and embrace the warmth of spring. This season’s shades are electric; popping with hints of orange, blue, purple and more. So say bye-bye to those neutrals and prepare to have some serious fun with color as we introduce the season’s hottest beauty trends!
Lips are absolutely bursting with color this season in neon shades of orange, fuchsia, and hot pink. The colors work great as the focal point of your look or as a compliment to a smokey eye at night.
Cobalt blue is the “it” color for eyes this season and there are so many ways to rock it! For an intense look, use a cobalt eyeshadow solo or layer it over a black shadow. If you’re living life on the subtle side, top off a neutral eye with cobalt blue eyeliner to add some edge to the every day.
The cheek color of the season is berry. If you’re fair skinned, select a lighter, subtler shade. For medium to dark complexions, you will want to stick with a deep berry shade. Steer clear of sparkles though; this color is wild enough to stand on its own without the added drama.
Yellow is the fun color for spring and the variations of the shade that you choose to wear are completely up to you. For day or for the office, shoot for a pale yellow. For a night on the town, pump up the brightness with a canary or neon shade of yellow.
Remember, these looks are both bold and beautiful but shouldn’t necessarily be worn together. Pick one or two areas to brighten up, and stay neutral everywhere else. Now go grab your favorite spring dress and leave winter in your rear view!
by Sian Bitner Kearney:
Whether you’re married or just dating, planning a date night not only gives you a little romance to look forward to it’s also the perfect excuse to ditch your day-to-day look and go for that little extra bit of gorgeous! Here are our top five picks for gorgeous date night beauty.
Few things ruin a romantic dinner like lipstick on your teeth or lipstick on your partner. However, most women rely on a little lip color to bring some dazzle to their beauty look. Next date night ditch the usual lipstick and opt for a stain. One of our favorites is TARTE LipSurgence Lip Tint in the shade, “Joy”.
You can easily add a touch of warmth to your skin with a bronzing powder or peach blush. Applied to the apples of the cheeks and along the forehead line, these shades give a warm glow to your skin making it look healthy without giving a fake tan appearance. We love NARS’ Blush/Bronzer Duo in the shades, “Orgasm/Laguna”.
No need to resort to dark browns and blacks for a beautiful smokey eye. Layering shades of gold and copper can be just as dramatic while also creating a dreamy, candlelit effect. Line eyes with a dark brown or black liner, then layer and smudge with a golden/copper shadow. For this look, we recommend Kat Von D’s Shade Shifter shadow in the shade, “Devotion”.
Highlight Your Assets
There is no better way to bring a romantic glow to your skin than by using a beautiful highlighter. Liquid highlighters especially, give skin a healthy, soft glow. Add touches above cheekbones, to corners of the eyes, or use add glow to you collar bones or along the shins of your legs. Never overdo the highlighter though, you want to have a soft shimmer, NOT look like a disco, glitter queen. Try Benefit’s High Beam highlighter for the perfect shimmer every time!
Let Your Hair Down
Pony tails and buns are perfect for the day or weekend errands but date night is your night to shine! Loose, soft waves are still super hot right now and nothing is sexier that wavy tendrils covering your shoulders over a candlelight dinner. Grab a large barrel clipless curling wand and wind 1” sections away from your face. Once all the hair is curled, tousle lightly with your fingers, add a touch or hairspray and your gorgeous and ready to go! Try Sultra’s Bombshell Oval Curling Iron for gorgeous Victoria Secret type waves!
Celebrity Makeup Artist: Lisa Storey for Jouer Cosmetics
“To balance the sexy silver gown that fit Miranda so perfectly, I was inspired to keep a feeling of a fresh faced classic beauty. I loved the bright pops of coral and peach hues while keeping the eyes subtle and soft but still with a glamorous feel.”
- To begin, I prepped the skin with Jouer Anti-Aging Moisture Primer followed by Luminizing Moisture Tint in Golden.
- I applied Age-Repairing Perfecter no. 2 in Crème for more coverage where needed and Age-Repairing Brightener in Medium under the eye area.
- On Miranda’s eyes I applied Crème Eyeshadow Crayons in Rococo over the lid, blending the outer corner with Baroque.
- I dusted Powder Eyeshadow in Walnut in the crease and blended upward and outward.
- I lined the inner eye with Eye Definer in Chocolat, finishing her look with lashings of Everyday Effortless Mascara in Noir.
- The brows were gently filled with Brow Definer in Cendré.
- For the cheeks I patted Tint in Poppy on the cheeks, then after a light dust of Mineral Face Powder in Perle Naturel, I applied Mineral Powder Blush in Peach Bouquet.
I completed the look with Hydrating Lipstick in Grace.