Christina Hendricks…Driving Men Mad! by Sian Bitner Kearney:
While the world of Hollywood is full of beautiful women, there are few that personify class, confidence, and well… sex the way that Christina Hendricks does. This fiery redhead lights up the screen on AMC’s Mad Men as the hard headed and hard to ignore Joan Holloway (Harris). While Hendricks’ voluptuous curves keep men all around the world glued to the television, it’s Christina’s glowing complexion and vintage glamour that keeps us ladies wanting more. Want to drive your own man mad? Here’s how to create a look that’s totally Joan approved!
- As always, begin with clean, moisturized skin.
- Next, skip the heavy, complexion clouding foundation and opt for a BB Crème.
- If you’re like Christina and are among the “fairest of all”, go for a BB Crème with sun protection built in like Christian Dior’s DIORSNOW UV Protection BB Crème.
- Next, apply a light dusting of blush to the apples of the cheeks in a coral shade. Coral is less harsh on fair skin tones than a red blush but still gives skin that old Hollywood glow. We love Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush in the shade Candy Coral.
- Now on to the eyes. Because the lips are Christina’s boldest and brightest feature, the eyes need to be a bit simpler.
- For this look, skip eye shadow and smoky liner. Simply apply a liquid liner like Smashbox’s Limitless Liquid Liner pen to the upper lash line only.
- Stay as close to the lash line as possible and wing the liner out ever so slightly at the corners.
- Next, apply several coats of volumizing mascara like Lancome’s Hypnose Drama mascara, to the upper lashes only.
- Now on to the drama! This look is all about those big, bold, and beautiful red carpet lips.
- If you have a tendency toward dryness, begin by exfoliating the lips and applying a balm.
- Next, pick a bright shade of red, we love Clarins’ Joli Rouge Lipstick, apply to lips with a lip brush or directly from the tube, and you’re red carpet ready. Simple, sophisticated, and oh so sexy!
Last night, the fashionable and beautiful all gathered together for the yearly MET ball. Christina Ricci looked stunning and Kim Bower, her makeup artist, shares how she created this "punk meets glam" look for the MET gala.
"Christina wanted a a strong clean eye. Black liquids and powders were built up to create a strong cat eye. The rest of the face remained clean to allow the focus to be on her gorgeous face and the orange lip /wild ginger lipstick by Tom ford"
- La Mer Face Cream
- Beauty Flash Balm from Clarins
- Jouer pearl cream in center of face and Armani fluid silk 6.5
- Tarte setting powder
- Kevyn Aucoin contour
- Kevyn Aucoin Candlelight highlight powder
- Kevyn Aucoin Pravella blush
- Dior Earth Reflection palette
- Shiseido creme shadow bk912
- MAC black creme liner
- Brows, I used MAC omega eyeshadow
Today, the talented Nick Barose shows us how to rock dramatic eyes and bold lips together like he did on his client Winona Ryder at this weeks The Iceman NYC premiere. "Normally there is a "rule" that if you're doing strong eyes, you can't do bold lips or vice versa.... but sometimes you can break the rule! Glamorous red lips alone can usually make you look too proper or too lady like so by adding some liner too it can make the look a bit edgier and less prim"
- On Winona I started by prepping her skin with sheer tinted moisturizer
- Then to keep skin from looking too matte, which would have been too retro with the red lips, I dusted sheer luminous powder on T Zone to cut down shine.
- For eyes, it's dark but more of an eyeliner look as opposed to a full on smoky eyes
- I simply just lined her upper and lower lash line using a long wearing chocolate brown pencil liner instead of black
- Line it along upper and lower lash line, try going in the inner rims to to make eyes pop more
- It'll add boldness to the eyes but not too smoky, just a sultry eyeliner look (try Armani Eyes To Kill waterproof eyeliner pencil in #2 )
- Then add just 2 coats of black mascara ( Benefit They're Real Mascara)
As always the amazingly talented Gita Bass created a simple, and elegant look for Nina Dobrev at the Great Gatsby premiere last night. Here she shares her beauty how to:
"For the Great Gatsby premiere we wanted to shy away from anything too period looking and just do gorgeous bronze goddess- basically A red carpet version of Nina herself!"FACE:
- Nina's skin was prepped with Simple Hydrating Light moisturizer and then evened out with a few drops of Armani Silk Luminous foundation.
- I also added some Cle de peau concealer where needed.
- For extra shine control her skin was lightly blotted with YSL Poudre Compacte Radiance.
- I lined her upper and inner lower lash line with Armani waterproof smooth silk eye pencil- the ultimate pencil for all night staying power.
- I then layered Tom Ford Cream Color for Eyes in Spice on her lids and on her lower lash line, blending with a soft brush.
- I curled her lashes and applied a few coats of YSL Volume Effet Faux cils.
LIPS AND CHEEKS:
- For a soft flush, I applied Stila Convertible color in Peony on the apples of her cheeks
- I layered Nars powder blush in Deep Throat over the top.
- For an extra glow, I applied the light shade from Tom Ford Sculpt and Illuminate on her cheekbones.
- For a warm nude I applied the Nars Satin Lip pencil in Biscayne Park and layered Chanel lipgloss in 357 over the top.
Jessica Biel and her delicious husband attended the Time 100 Gala, and she looked stunning with a simple bronzed eye, clean makeup and a nude lip. Jessica Biel’s hairstylist and make-up artist of the night share with us what went into Jessica’s classy look.“I thought giving her a sultry, warm-brown, smoky eye would look great with her Tom Ford dress,” dishes Beau Nelson. "The very on trend spring look of the moment is warm brown smoky eyes with orange cheeks."
MAKEUP: Nelson used Burberry blush in Tangerine to warm up Jessica’s olive complexion. Nelson used brands from CHANEL, Tom Ford, to MAC and even L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara. The product range in price point is quite impressive. All of these different beauty products working together to create a naturally elegant look for Jessica Biel.
HAIR: Anthony Campbell is responsible to Jessica’s hairstyle for this evening. Using hairspray, thickening spray, beach spray and a one and a half inch curling iron to create a Brigitte Bardot inspired hairstyle. Anthony kept the bangs apart and pulled the front hair strands back to open Jessica’s face and neck.
Bridget Bardot Beauty Breakdown by Sian Bitner-Kearney
Since near birth, I have been obsessed with Brigitte Bardot. She is without a doubt my style icon and any dear friend would verify my countless attempts to be beach blonde (some less successful than others), my desperate need to perfect the cat eye look, and the lips… I should be an expert on the nude lip at this point of my life! The amalgamation of big, defined eyes, bronzed glowing skin, and near naked lips is classically beautiful, not to mention the perfect look for a mid-summer night! This look screams sexy while still appearing effortless and natural. Pair this look with an up do, ala Brigitte Bardot, and you have the recipe for dazzling!
- The thing to remember when attempting this beach beautiful look, is to focus on the eyes and the skin.
- Skin should be well hydrated before applying any bronzer, and using a BB Crème instead of a heavy foundation will give you ample coverage while still creating a natural glow.
- Create your smoky brown eye with a light layer of taupe shadow all over the lid followed by a deep shade of brown through the crease area.
- Begin lining the top of the lid, as close as possible to the lashes, with a black cake or gel liner and ever so slightly, winging it out at the corner.
- Next, lightly line the bottom waterline and top with several coats of lengthening mascara.
- Finish off the look with a touch of nude lip gloss, and your glammed up and ready to go!
GET THE LOOK:
Oscar Beauty Breakdown: Jenna Dewan-Tatum
makeup artist: celebrity makeup artist Kayleen McAdams for tarte
Inspiration: "Our inspiration was iridescence. Jenna wore opals and had a hint of mother of pearl in her dress so we wanted something with a touch of shimmer."
GET THE LOOK:
FACE: "Jenna's skin is gorgeous and has that pregnancy glow so she needed very little coverage."
- Kayleen started by applying tarte's BB tinted treatment 12-hour primer in light to prepare Jenna's skin.
- Then she used Amazonian clay 12-hour full coverage foundation in tan all over her face and maracuja creaseless concealer in tan just under her eyes.
- She finished by applying tarte's Amazonian clay 12-hour blush in peaceful on the apples of her cheeks.
EYES: "We wanted something iridescent, so I mixed a lot of shimmery shadows and liner to get the look."
- Kayleen mixed Amazonian clay waterproof cream eyeshadow in slate and plum smoke all over her lids and along the bottom lash line.
- She then used skinny smolderEYES Amazonian clay waterproof liner in onyx on the outer edges of her eyes, both top and bottom and skinny smolderEYES Amazonian clay waterproof liner in slate on the inner corners and blended them well.
- She finished by applying two coats of lights, camera, lashes 4-in-1 mascara.