Vanessa Scali for Elizabeth Arden
INSPIRATION: “Christina is a stunning, radiant beauty. We have been working together for many years and it is always a pleasure to work with her. She wore a black Christian Siriano gown and new blonde locks to the Emmys. We could have really gone in any direction with the makeup: bold lips, smoky eyes, fresh and pretty... In the end, we went for a fresh face and a warm, red lip.” – Vanessa Scali
GET THE LOOK:
- On days you need extra staying power, skip the heavy moisturizers and use a serum instead. Prep face with Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Capsules– they make a great primer. They are packed with treatment and thoroughly penetrate the skin leaving it a clean, even canvas for your foundation.
- Apply Elizabeth Arden Flawless Finish Sponge-On Cream Makeup to give it a soft, luminous glow. Swipe foundation along the bridge of nose, cheeks, chin and forehead and use the sponge to blend the color to the outer edges of the face
- Dab Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Lift and Firm Concealer under the eyes and on the inner hollow (on the nose) just beside the inner corner of the eyes
- For a pop of color, use Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Cream Blush in Pink to flush the cheeks. This makes the skin look fresh and lit from within.
- Using very little, swipe the darker shade in the Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Eye Shadow Duo in Precious Metals from the lash line of the eyelid to the crease, and under the lower lashes as well. Blend it into the skin so there is no border. The subtle shading gives the eye definition in a soft and sexy way.
- Apply Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Smoky Eyes Pencil in Smoky Black on the upper lid, starting with a thin line on the inner corner of the eyes and becoming progressively thicker toward the outer corners of the eyes. Using a small tapered brush, smudge a touch of it into the lower lashes under the eyes.
- Curl the lashes well and apply a few generous coats of Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Lash Enhancing Mascara in Black on the top lashes, with one coat on the bottom.
- Enhance brows with Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Brow Shaper & Eyeliner in Soft Blonde.
- Apply Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Moisturizing Lipstick (12 hour formula) in Power Red. This warm red looks bold and elegant.
Christina Hendricks…Driving Men Mad! by Sian Bitner Kearney:
While the world of Hollywood is full of beautiful women, there are few that personify class, confidence, and well… sex the way that Christina Hendricks does. This fiery redhead lights up the screen on AMC’s Mad Men as the hard headed and hard to ignore Joan Holloway (Harris). While Hendricks’ voluptuous curves keep men all around the world glued to the television, it’s Christina’s glowing complexion and vintage glamour that keeps us ladies wanting more. Want to drive your own man mad? Here’s how to create a look that’s totally Joan approved!
- As always, begin with clean, moisturized skin.
- Next, skip the heavy, complexion clouding foundation and opt for a BB Crème.
- If you’re like Christina and are among the “fairest of all”, go for a BB Crème with sun protection built in like Christian Dior’s DIORSNOW UV Protection BB Crème.
- Next, apply a light dusting of blush to the apples of the cheeks in a coral shade. Coral is less harsh on fair skin tones than a red blush but still gives skin that old Hollywood glow. We love Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blush in the shade Candy Coral.
- Now on to the eyes. Because the lips are Christina’s boldest and brightest feature, the eyes need to be a bit simpler.
- For this look, skip eye shadow and smoky liner. Simply apply a liquid liner like Smashbox’s Limitless Liquid Liner pen to the upper lash line only.
- Stay as close to the lash line as possible and wing the liner out ever so slightly at the corners.
- Next, apply several coats of volumizing mascara like Lancome’s Hypnose Drama mascara, to the upper lashes only.
- Now on to the drama! This look is all about those big, bold, and beautiful red carpet lips.
- If you have a tendency toward dryness, begin by exfoliating the lips and applying a balm.
- Next, pick a bright shade of red, we love Clarins’ Joli Rouge Lipstick, apply to lips with a lip brush or directly from the tube, and you’re red carpet ready. Simple, sophisticated, and oh so sexy!
This is a premium membership content!
The Makeup Sessions Membership brings together my experience as a professional makeup artist, as well as creating a beauty hub where the worlds best makeup artists spill their secrets. I believe you deserve to know how to look your most beautiful with significantly less effort than ever before!
When you're a member, you get:
- Let the makeup blogger team scour the web for you and bring you the best beauty secrets from celebrity makeup artists
- How to recreate celebrity looks for the real world….and in less time.
- View interviews with prominent makeup artists
- Have direct access to the team of beauty experts
Find out more about the membership here
Christina Hendricks at 2012 Emmys
One of my favorite redheads rocked the red carpet last night. For the Emmys, makeup artist Vanessa Scali gave the Mad Men star a gorgeous look to complement the old Hollywood feel of her Christian Siriano gown and Lorraine Schwartz jewelry. “I was inspired by the soft, feminine look of the dress and its cool, shimmery neutral color against her skin.