For the past two weeks I have been focusing on the inner health portion of my journey. I have been known to just go gangbusters with exercise in the past, and do every fad diet on the planet. Loose weight in 30 days?? I want it! But now I am trying to lose weight and get healthy the right way. Slowly. And trust me, it is not easy. Seriously, not easy at all. And yet, it is paying off.
The first person that I was connected to at my new "healthy home studio" (this is what I endearingly call Dantian Studios now) was nutritionist Phil Gephart. He went about assessing my body fat using the BioSignature Modulation technique. Sounds funky, and it is...but it was fascinating! With handheld devise he measured 12 various spots on my body these sites included the cheek, chin, pectoral region, triceps, belly button, quadriceps, hamstrings, knee and calf. The premise is that "Let’s say that after being tested, it’s discovered that there is an excessive amount of fat on the lower thighs (again, relative to the other major fat sites). This indicates that there is a problem with the estrogen levels."
- If the problem area is the triceps, the issue is with the androgen levels.
- If the problem area is the shoulder blades or hip, the problem is with your insulin levels.
After determining the cause of the fat, the next step is to make appropriate modifications in your diet and exercise prescription.
- For the subscapular – shoulder blade- and suprailliac -hip-, controlling the blood sugar levels of the body with more frequent meals, reduced daily carbohydrate and low GI food choices is critical.
- For lower abdominal fat, the key is reducing cortisol levels by restricting the consumption of caffeine and sugar.
- For the glutes, it’s important to detoxify estrogen levels by consuming vegetables such as broccoli that have biochemicals that accomplish this important task.
Didn't I tell you it was fascinating!!??
Next up, Phil schooled me on nutrition. He suggested I stick to a diet that was free of wheat, dairy, and refined sugar. Basically, everything I didn't want to hear! But, I have been following this for two weeks and have seen my belly bloat decrease, and I can actually see my cheekbones again. Hallelujah.
He states: "Science has taught us that it is not fat that causes us to get fatter.