Since last week was all about the finale of Sons of Anarchy, what better way to kick off the week, than with the beautiful Katey Segal.
"Katey always likes to keep her look fresh, so I use shadows instead of hard liners on her eyes for a soft focus look! -celebrity makeup artist Coleen Campbell-Olwell"
- To create a softer version of a smokey eye I used warm neutral shadows, starting with Nars shadow in Fez along her lid and under the eye then I tap on Nars Bengali along the top lash line and working it up at the outer corner for a little dimension.
- I like to line the upper waterline with Chanel Eye Pencil in Ambre, it makes the lashes look more dense.
- I then defined her brows with my favorite Brow Pencil, Diorshow Brow Styler in Universal Brown and lengthened her lashes by swiping on two coats of Makeup For Ever Smokey Lash Mascara in Black and I added a few single lashes.
by Christina Farrell
Beauty Tips and Tricks, Celebrity Looks, Makeup Artist Tips, Makeup Products
Tagged Celebrity beauty, Colleen Campbell-Olwell, Gemma Sons of Anarchy, get the look, Hourglass Cosmetics, Katey Segal, NARS cosmetics, SOA, Sons of Anarchy
The annual Met Gala is a beauty and fashion lovers dream. A red carpet filled with the best beauty looks of the year, all curated by the top makeup artists from all around the country! There were so many amazing looks this year that I decided to create two "Best of Beauty" posts to highlight them all. First round: makeup. Enjoy!
BLAKE LIVELY: “This look is very classic but very glamorous. We wanted to nod to Charles James’ aesthetic by creating a look reminiscent of vintage Hollywood but modernize it with a muted red lip.”
Key NARS products used:
MARION COTILLARD: "The dress makes a graphic statement and we complemented it with glowing skin, iridescent eyes and richly pigmented lips," says makeup artist Christophe Danchaud.
- Danchaud used Hourglass Visionaire Eye Shadow in Exhibition.
- He began by applying the shimmer lilac shade all over her lids.
- He then applied the dark mauve shade in the duo close to her lash line and to the outer corner of her eye.
- He extended the mauve shade to underneath her eyes, close to the lash line.
- To lighten up his handiwork, he used a gold pigment on the lids.
- Finally, he applied several coats of mascara.
- He defined the brows with Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil in Dark Brunette.
JANNELLE MONAE: "The Met Gala is one the biggest fashion events in New York City. It’s a night where fashion meets beauty and this year my beauty was the talented Janelle Monae"
- I massaged a light weight moisturizer all over her face and along her neck. Giving the moisturizer plenty of time to penetrate the skin, I then applied a pore minimizing primer all over her face using a synthetic brush.
- Using a sponge, I applied COVERGIRL truBLEND Foundation all over Janelle’s face, starting by her nose and blending upwards and outwards.
- Using my ring finger, I sparingly dabbed truBLEND Concealer under her eyes.
- To highlight and begin to give her skin dimension, I applied truMAGIC Luminizer on top of her cheek bones, down her nose and a tiny bit to her lips cupid’s bow.
- To contour her face I applied Queen Collection Bronzer in Ebony Bronze around her hair line, under her cheek bone, along the jaw bone and slightly down the sides of her nose.
- I brushed her brows into place with a clean mascara wand and using a firm angle brush, filled them in with a medium brown shadow.
- I applied a skin tone matte shadow to her lid and then, with a windshield wiper motion, applied a soft brick color, COVERGIRL Queen Collection Shadow Pot in Dazzle, to her crease with a blending brush.
- I lined her water line with Bombshell Intensity Liner in Pitch Black Passion and then created a perfect winged look.
- I finished with false lashes and then applied two coats of the new Bombshell Curvaceous Mascara for a really dark, intense look.
LIPS AND NAILS:
- Now that her eyes and skin are finished I used a cherry red liner to define her lips, filled them in slightly and accentuated her cupid's bow.
- COVERGIRLs richly pigmented, and Janelle’s signature, LipPerfection Lipcolor in Hot #305 was then applied with a lip brush ( for ultimate precision) and an electrifying red carpet look was born!
Janelle was rocking COVERGIRL Nail Gloss in Ever Reddy on her nails!
STACY MARTIN: "Stacy is wearing a colorful Miu Miu dress with stunning embellishments so we created a fresh look to accentuate her natural beauty without competing with the dress! We created a minimalistic look with a touch of bronzy glow for a flawless finish," mark Celebrity Makeup Artist Jamie Greenberg said.
- I used Jouer Brow Fix Gel to shape the brows
- Then created a subtle cat eye using mark's Get In Line Hook Up Liquid Waterproof Eyeliner in Painted Black.
- I applied Ardell Lashes 301 to the corner of Stacy's eyes and finished with multiple coats of mark's Lash All You Want High Volume Mascara in Blackest Black.
LIPS: I completed the look by accentuating her natural lip color using mark's Lipclick Full Color Lipstick in Baby Luv.
by Christina Farrell
Beauty Tips and Tricks, Celebrity Looks, Get The Look
Tagged Blake Lively, celebrity makeup looks, CoverGirl, get the look, Hourglass Cosmetics, Jouer, mark celebrity makeup artist Jamie Greenberg, Mark cosmetics, Met Gala 2014, Met Gala Beauty 2014
Amber Heard looked stunning with a romantic twist on the smokey eye. The actress, teamed her midnight blue Atelier Versace dress with a romantic up-do and alluring makeup by Hourglass Cosmetics. Not only did I love the look, but I wholeheartedly admit that Hourglass is one of my favorite cosmetic brands. Every product screams pretty! In all honesty, I cannot live without my Ambient Lighting Powders, and No.28 Primer. “Amber brought some of her own ideas to the mix,” says makeup artist Matthew VanLeeuwen. “She liked the idea of focusing on sultry chocolate eyes, creamy skin and soft nude lips. I was just bringing out the remarkable geometry and beauty of her face.”Here’s how to recreate the look:
- Moisturize skin with Cle de Peau Gentle Nourishing Emulsion.
- Prime with Hourglass No. 28 Primer Serum
- conceal with Hourglass Hidden Corrective Concealer in Warm, and follow with Hourglass Veil Fluid Makeup in Light Beige. “No. 28 hydrates beautifully but it also creates a magical finish,” he says.
BROWS: Define the brows with Hourglass Arch Brow Sculpting Pencil in Soft Brunette.
- Apply the shell shade from the Hourglass Vol. 6 Eye Palette as a base color all over the lids.
- Follow with the bronze shimmer shade from Hourglass Visionaire Eye Shadow Duo in Gypsy applied to the crease and under the eyes.
- Deepen the bronze with the brown shade from Vol. 6 Eye Palette applied to the outer corner, top and bottom of the lids.
- Line the eyes with a deep plum pencil like MAC Eye Kohl Prunella. “I also smudged the line with the black shadow from the palette,” he says.
- Apply a high-shine pearl shadow to the inner corner of the eye. Apply a coat of Hourglass Film Noir Mascara, allow to dry and curl lashes.
- Amplify with individual lashes like Ardell Duralash Flare in Medium Black.
- Apply the sheer rose shade from Hourglass Illume Crème-to-Powder Bronzer Duo in Sunset to the cheeks, and highlight with the sheer champagne shade from Hourglass Illume Crème-to-Powder Bronzer Duo in Bronze Light.
- Retrace your steps with Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Ethereal Light, an opalescent sheer powder which mimics a moonlit glow.
- Line lips with Hourglass Trace Lip Liner in Bare and follow with Hourglass Femme Rouge Velvet Crème Lipstick in Whisper, a golden pinky beige shimmer. “The look is glamorous but restrained,” adds VanLeeuwen. “She is so extraordinarily beautiful.”
Today's question is how to apply luminous powder . Well, this is a great question because right now luminizing powders are popping up all over the beauty market and there's great reason too. They add a soft focused glow to the face, can help to minimize pores and help to liven up an uneven skin tone or a dull complexion. The tip that you need to know though is not apply it all over the face. This can sometimes lead to a shiny look or just too much glow. You want to make sure that you apply it only in certain areas.
I prefer to use a loose powder because it gives me more control. Now you need to keep the powder an illuminizing powder on the top of the cheekbones, right here on the top of the eyebrow. You can do it on top of the Cupid's Bow and even on top of the eyebrow bone right here. Now as you can see it comes off very, very intensely, so you want to make sure that you blend it in. I like to use small tiny circular strokes.
Now you can see the difference of how that instantly brightened up her face and gave a really beautiful soft look and a last tip that really helps is you can use these luminizing powders to enhance the decolletage area. It's perfect for Summer when you are wearing beautiful strapless Summer dresses. And that's it, easy and simple ways of how to apply luminous powder .
Since this week I am reviewing my favorite holiday sets, I had to include a set from one of my all time favorite lines: Hourglass Cosmetics.
This best-of set features two of my favorite primers that are designed for all skin types.
Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15 neutralizes redness (even rosacea!); helps minimize the appearance of all visible pores, fine lines, and imperfections; extends the durability of all makeup applied on top of it; and repels water. This has been one of my go-to primers for the last year. I absolutely love the finish.
No. 28 Primer Serum is infused with 28 ultra-hydrating ingredients to nourish your skin. If your skin is dry and flaky than run out and get this. Now! I have been using this during the past month when my skin has become severely dry. This is also incredible on mature skin.
Fourteen essential oils soften the complexion: bois de rose, lavender, geranium, petit grain, lemon, rosemary, vanilla, clove, amyris, orange, ylang ylang, eucalyptus, cedar, and rose geranium.
Ten lipid-rich plant oils help hydrate the skin’s underlying layers: hazelnut, kukui nut, rose hip, borage, olive, green tea, cherry pit, sweet almond, jojoba, and evening primrose.
And four skin-rejuvenating vitamins condition the complexion: A, B5, C and E.
Also included is the Film Noire Full Spectrum Mascara. This luxurious mascara leaves the lashes inky black. This multitasking mascara lengthens, lifts, adds volume and clump-free definition, and conditions. Perfection!
You also get a full size Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss. The color is the perfect neutral, and I use it to top off my favorite pink lipsticks. The gloss is also water-resistant, which is perfect for the snowy, wet weather!
Christina Hendricks at 2012 Emmys
One of my favorite redheads rocked the red carpet last night. For the Emmys, makeup artist Vanessa Scali gave the Mad Men star a gorgeous look to complement the old Hollywood feel of her Christian Siriano gown and Lorraine Schwartz jewelry. “I was inspired by the soft, feminine look of the dress and its cool, shimmery neutral color against her skin.