Even if you love a winter wonderland, your skin may not. The chilly, dry air and shorter days can bring on a dry, dull complexion. In my job as a celebrity makeup artist, I have a few tricks up my sleeve to help you appear glowing all year long.
The secret is having the right products to create the perfect look. Here are the five that I swear by:
1. A healing ointment. A tube of Aquaphor does triple-duty against chapped skin. I always have a tube on hand to soothe dry lips, hydrate rough patches of skin and soften cuticles. It especially works wonders if you apply it before bedtime. I always have a tube on hand.
2. Tinted moisturizer. Many women make the mistake of reaching for a heavier cover-up during the winter, believing that their pale complexions need extra coverage. But this can lead to a caked-on look. Instead, I recommend a light tinted moisturizer: It hydrates and brightens at the same. The result: Dewy skin that stands out in the crowd. Simply use a shade or two lighter than your summer color, and apply with a sponge brush. Then pat off any excess product with a tissue.
3. Exfoliating scrub. To achieve fresh-looking skin, you need to slough off the top layer of dead cells. That’s why I recommend using a gentle exfoliating scrub once or twice a week; a drugstore brand, such as Aveeno or Neutrogena, does the job. Just don’t go overboard. Exfoliate too much, and you’ll strip the skin of its protective oils.
4. Bronzing lotion. Who needs the sun for a sun-kissed tan? I love applying a sheer, shimmering bronzing lotion before a holiday party or event. I like Scott Barnes Body Bling Moisturizing Shimmering Body Lotion, which gives you a glowing tan without any streakiness. Simply rub on your neck, chest, arms and legs before heading out, and wash off when you get home. Just remember to wipe your palms with a tissue after application.
by Christina Farrell
Beauty Tips and Tricks, Best Of, Cheap and Fabulous, Skincare
Tagged bronzer, tinted moisturizer, exfoliation, St. Tropez, winter skincare tips, winter beauty, dry winter skin, auqaphor, top 5 beauty tricks, bronzing lotion
While I admit to being someone who is somewhat afraid of the fake tan (I have very traumatic oompa loompa experiences!), I have learned over the years how to make it work on my fair skin. It takes a great product like Beautisol, and an arsenal of prepping products, mistake fixers, and more. Here is the list of my 5 must have's when I go in for the fake glow.
1) Xen-Tan 'Hard to Reach' Applicator: This is a god send. When you can't find a friend or a boyfriend to help apply your fake tan on the dreaded back area, than reach for this magic wand. Place your product directly onto the back applicator and apply...it really is that easy! Why didn't anyone think of this sooner?
2) Adventuress Sunscreen Swipes: the one thing I am guilty of is forgetting to remember to put on my sunscreen after I tan. Keeping these handy wipes in my purse not only makes it easy to get protection on the go, but it ensures that your fake tan will be protected as well. Brilliant!
3) St. Tropez Tan Remover: Who among us hasn't had a self tanning mishap? I know that I have had my fair share of streaks, and over-tanned elbows. This tan remover has been made by St. Tropez, which is one of the authorities in self tanning. This was designed to prevent hands and palms from becoming stained while correcting tanning mistakes! Just apply with water to the palms of the hands after applying the self tan.
4) Beautisol Prep & Glow System: Medium Mousse Formula: My current self tanner of choice. And, they make it ridiculously easy with this kit to get the perfect glow. This kit comes with an exfoliating mitt for your pre-tan prep, and an application mitt which makes applying your moose bronzer a breeze. I personally don't know how I ever lived without the application mitt. It makes the tan look flawless. Another bonus? The moose dries quickly, so no gooey or messy wait time like most self tanners. Love!
5) Prtty Peaushun: Are you rocking your fake tan for a night out on the town? Than this lotion is an absolute must. I use it on all my clients as a finishing touch to make their skin look sexy and glowing. You can also use it on your face as a highlighter, and to enhance your Beautisol tan. Created by Celebrity Makeup Artist, Bethany Karlyn, this lotion has subtle light reflecting particles in a natural emollient base. It also conceals minor imperfections and enhances definition to create a sexy legs and diminish the appearance of cellulite stretch marks and varicose veins as well as minimizing bruising and sore muscles.